I completed my Ph.D. in December 2019 and will update this in May 2020.
Doctoral Candidate, Instructional Design & Technology
Instructor of EME 2040: Introduction to Technology for Educators
University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL
Office: Education Complex, Room 220K
PDF of CV
2019 (in progress): Ph.D., University of Central Florida (UCF)
Education, Instructional Design & Technology track
2018 August: Entered candidacy
Dissertation: Financial literacy and retirement investing (TBD)
3.94 GPA (M.A. & Ph.D. combined)
2018 May: Graduate Certificate, UCF
Advanced Quantitative Methodologies in Educational & Human Sciences
2016 May: M.A., UCF
Applied Learning & Instruction
Major projects: Introduction to American personal financial literacy (online course)
The implications of mindsets for learning and instruction (lit. review)
2014 May B.S., UCF
3.60 GPA (A.A. & B.S. combined)
2011 May A.A., Daytona State College (DSC)
Phi Theta Kappa graduate with honors
Thripp, R., Nair, U., Ghosh, A. K., & Hahs-Vaughn, D. L. (2018). Variation in financial knowledge across U.S. states: A multilevel analysis of the 2015 National Financial Capability Study. Manuscript submitted for publication.
Furgione, B., Evans, K., Ghimire, N., Thripp, R., & Russell, W. B., III. (2018). What’s on your plate? Correlating subsidized lunch and proficiency on the civics end-of-course assessment. Educational Practice and Theory, 40(1), 51–66. https://doi.org/10.7459/ept/40.1.04
DeMara, R. F., Chen, B., Hartshorne, R., & Thripp, R. (2017). Elevating participation and outcomes with computer-based assessments: An immersive development workshop for engineering faculty. ASEE Computers in Education Journal, 8(3), 1–12.
- Financial literacy education
- Knowledge and behavior in personal finance, investing, and retirement planning
- Use of Web technologies in K–12 and post-secondary education
TEACHING EXPERIENCE AND EMPLOYMENT
Fall 2017 – Present: Graduate Teaching Associate and Instructor of Record at UCF for EME 2040: Introduction to Technology for Educators.
Supervisor: L. O. Campbell, Ph.D., August 2018 – Present
Supervisor: Richard Hartshorne, Ph.D., August 2017 – June 2018
- Fall 2017: Instructed two blended sections (16 weeks), total enrollment: 70
- Spring 2018: Instructed two blended sections (16 weeks), total enrollment: 70
- Summer A 2018: Instructed one Web section (six weeks), enrollment: 39, and graded for EME 6507: Multimedia for Education and Training
- Fall 2018: Instructed one Web section (16 weeks), enrollment: 34
Fall 2016 – Summer 2017: Graduate Teaching Assistant to Richard Hartshorne, Ph.D. at UCF, for EME 2040: Introduction to Technology for Educators.
June – August 2016: Web Developer (paid position) for Florida Center for Students with Unique Abilities at UCF. Supervisor: Rebecca Hines, Ph.D. Website uses WordPress: https://fcsua.org/
DeMara, M., Chen, B., Hartshorne, R., & Thripp, R. (2018, April 16). Developing computer-based assessments for large-enrollment classes: A faculty workshop for STEM disciplines. Poster session presented at meeting of the American Educational Research Association, New York, NY.
Jahani, S., Munyon, M. D., Rasoolimanesh, S. M., & Thripp, R. (2018, April 13). A PLS-SEM analysis of gender, finance, and international students’ choice of STEM major. Paper presented at the 22nd Annual Western Hemispheric Trade Conference, Laredo, TX.
Thripp, R., Nair, U., Ghosh, A. K., & Hahs-Vaughn, D. L. (2018, April 3). How does financial knowledge vary across U.S. states? A multilevel analysis of the 2015 National Financial Capability Study. Paper presented at the University of Central Florida Graduate Research Forum, Orlando, FL.
Jahani, S., Munyon, M. D., & Thripp, R. (2018, February 17). A PLS-SEM analysis of gender, finance, and international students’ choice of STEM major. Paper presented at the 2018 International Women’s Issues Conference, Orlando, FL.
Thripp, R. (2017, November 10). Financial literacy education at the crossroads: When issues become too complex to inform consumer decisions. Roundtable session presented at the meeting of the Association for Educational Communications & Technology, Jacksonville, FL.
Thripp R., DeMara, R., Chen, B., & Hartshorne, R. (2017, June 2). Fortifying asynchronous online learning with digitally delivered in-person assessments to leverage the testing effect. Poster session presented at the International Conference on e-Learning, Orlando, FL. Available at http://thripp.com/epc-poster/
Thripp, R. (2017, April 4). Relationships between financial capability and education attainment: An analysis of survey data from the 2015 National Financial Capability Study. Poster session presented at the University of Central Florida Graduate Research Forum, Orlando, FL. Available at http://thripp.com/finedu/
Furgione, B., Evans, K., Ghimire, N., & Thripp, R. (2017, February 24). Correlating subsidized lunch prevalence with seventh-grade civics end-of-course exam proficiency in Florida schools. Paper presented at the meeting of the International Society for the Social Studies, Orlando, FL.
Thripp, R. (2016, July 31). The implications of mindsets for learning and instruction. Poster session presented at the meeting of the Association of Teacher Educators, Louisville, KY. Available at http://thripp.com/mindsets/
Thripp, R., & Furbee, S. (2015, March 31). Principal leadership: Comparing the percentage of low-SES children in Florida elementary schools in the TCLI directory with a measure of principal connectedness. Poster session presented at the University of Central Florida Graduate Research Forum, Orlando, FL.
- Completed ADL 5000: Advanced Distributed Learning for Technology-Mediated Course Delivery online course at UCF, January 2018
- Graduate Dean’s Fellowship recipient at UCF, Fall 2016 – Spring 2017
- Toastmasters International:
- Advanced Communicator Bronze and Triple Crown Award, May 2016
- Advanced Leader Bronze, February 2016
- Competent Leader, February 2016
- Competent Communicator, July 2015
- Club Ambassador and League of Volunteers Awards, 2016
- Completed Graduate Grantsmanship program at UCF, Spring 2015
- Completed Preparing Tomorrow’s Faculty program at UCF, Fall 2014
- President’s Honor Roll at UCF: Fall 2012, Spring 2013, Fall 2013, and Spring 2014
- Dana Rodman Tiffany Scholarship recipient at DSC, Spring 2011
- President’s List at DSC: Fall 2007, Spring 2008, and Fall 2010
- Florida Bright Futures Academic Scholars (FAS) recipient, 2007–2014
- James Fentress Scholarship recipient at DSC, Fall 2007 – Spring 2008
- February 2018 – Present: Tippyfi.com financial education founder and writer.
- November 2017: Passed Google Level 1 Certified Educator proctored exam.
- Toastmasters International, Port Orange, FL, Chapter # 3410728 (volunteer):
- July 2016 – June 2017: Treasurer
- July 2015 – June 2016: President
- Doubled in membership and achieved President’s Distinguished status
- April–June 2015: Vice President, Membership
- October 2014 – June 2017: Webmaster
- Participant in one speech contest and judge for several contests
- 2016–2017: Secretary (volunteer) for the UCF Student Laureates of STEM Teaching & Learning, a UCF registered student organization.
- February 23, 2017: Assisted with observation and data collection at Knightmakers Glamping: A Makerspace to introduce and build computational thinking by L. O. Campbell, Ph.D. at UCF, Orlando, FL.
- 2016: Created a free, empirically supported course titled Introduction to American Personal Financial Literacy. About two-thirds of the course was completed, which can be seen at http://thripp.org/fin-lit-intro/
- March 2015: Passed Florida Teacher Certification Exam, General Knowledge Test.
- Spring 2011 – Peer Tutor (paid) at the Daytona State College (DSC) Academic Support Center for remedial to college-level math (algebra, trigonometry, precalulus) and biology.
- Fall 2009 – Supplemental Instruction Leader (paid) for Survey of Biology (BSC 1005) at Daytona State College: created review materials, conducted review sessions, and created a website: http://daytonastate.org/biology
- Fall 2009 – Features Editor (six-credit scholarship) for the Daytona State College “DSC in Motion” monthly student newspaper: wrote the green column and several other pieces, edited students’ writing, and did photography for the front page and two-page spread.
- July 2018 – Present: Academy of Financial Services, Member
- 2017–2018: Association for Educational Communications & Technology, Member
- 2017–2018: American Society for Engineering Education, Member
- 2016–2017: Association of Teacher Educators, Member
- 2013–2014: UCF Daytona Beach Psychology Club, Member
- 2011 – Present: InfraGard, FBI Partnership, Member (Jacksonville, FL)
- University instructor with over two years teaching experience
- Face-to-face, blended, and fully online teaching experience
- Advanced knowledge of copy-editing and APA style
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Typing speed: 100 words per minute
- Experience with WordPress, writing PHP, HTML, and web development
- Experienced tutor for many college-level classes
- Strong writing and verbal skills
- Skilled in math and finance
This is the October 2, 2018 version of Richard Thripp’s curriculum vitae.